Cemeteries in South Riding associated with the historic village of Conklin and the area of Pleasant Valley, Loudoun County.
Tours are organized by the Conklin Project. For questions, contact Larry Roeder.
Edit Date: 11/2/2016 All tours are free or a donation to the Prosperity Baptist Church
1) Tour Dates and Flyers. 2) Information on Individual Tour Locations, with maps. 3) Background on Tour Program.
1) Tour Dates and Flyers
Private tours are available for a modest fee. Revenue goes to support the Conklin History Project, of the Prosperity Baptist Church.
Winter Tour: (Free Tour) Over thirty people participated in the self-drive, guided tour Sunday, 2pm. January 18, 2015. The tour is available any season and is led by local historians Larry Roeder and Wynne Saffer. Often participating are members of the Dean family, one of whom used to lived in the Settle-Dean cabin on Loudoun County Parkway. Cemeteries of South Riding is a guide to the eight cemeteries and other sites seen on the Winter Tour, complete with maps, photos and directions, all useful for self-guided tours. Email Larry if you want another group tour or a personal tour.
Spring Tour: (Free Tour) . Spring Cemetery Tour
2) Information On Individual Sites on the Tours
Hampton Brewer Cemetery. Brewer Cemetery Flyer(Part of Stop 1 on the Winter Tour and Stop Two on the Spring Tour). 26020 Ticonderoga Road, behind the back lot of J Michael Lundsford Middle School. The Dean Cemetery is another part of this stop.
Cage Hutchison Cemetery. Cage Hutchison Cemetery (Stop 7 on the Winter Tour). By Little River Elementary School.
Dean Cemetery. Dean Cemetery Flyer (Part of Stop 1 on the Winter Tour and second part of Stop Two on Spring Tour). 26020 Ticonderoga Road, behind the back lot of J Michael Lundsford Middle School. The Hampton Brewer Cemetery is the other part of this stop.
Mystery Cemetery. Mystery Cemetery Flyer (Stop 6 on the Winter Tour). Above South Riding Boulevard at the entrance to South Riding. from Highway 50. (Also known as South Riding Cemetery).
Pangle Cemetery. Pangle Cemetery Flyer (Stop 5 on the Winter Tour). Near McDonalds in South Riding.
Poland Cemetery. Poland Cemetery Flyer (Stop 8 on the Winter Tour).
Prosperity Baptist Church Cemetery. PROSPERITY BAPTIST CHURCH CEMETERY (Stop 2 of the Winter Tour and Stop One on the Spring Tour) See also Volume One of the Conklin Village Study. Prosperity is on Braddock Road at the junction of former Elk Lick and Braddock. Elf Lick at this junction is now called First Frost.
Saffer Cemetery SAFFER Cemetery Flyer (Stop 4 on the Winter and Spring Trours). On Longacre Drive near Freedom High School.
Settle-Dean Cabin, SETTLE-DEAN Cabin Flyer (Stop 3 on the Winter and Spring Tours ). On Loudoun County Parkway near the junction of Braddock Road.
3) Background on Tour Program
1928 List of Burials at Prosperity Baptist Church 1928 Burial List
Developing a South Riding Graveyard/Local History Committee: The peak for family graveyards on private lands was between 1840 and 1880; then most burials took place at churches, taking advantage of institutions that could afford to provide long-term maintenance. Churches also had the desire, as cemeteries can be an important element in community-building. This became very important as families migrated away from their farms because unfortunately private cemetery often were neglected and turned “to seed,” which is a dishonor to the dead. Larry Roeder spoke with South Riding officials and it may be possible to create a committee of volunteers to pick up branches and set up signs for the cemeteries. Let Larry Roeder know if you are interested. Call 793-867-2056.
The Village of Conklin: This ran along Braddock Road and up Elk Lick. Visit https://conklinproject.wordpress.com/ for multiple history volumes on the village, with photographs and a lot of data about slaves, farmers, soldiers and others who lived here. The project was commissioned by the Prosperity Baptist Church and the descendants of former freed-slaves; but the history covers the lives of both Whites and African-Americans. For those with children at Cardinal Ridge Elementary on Braddock, there is also a volume on the farm which used that space before the school was constructed.
Education in Loudoun: A research project sponsored by the Black History Committee of the Friends of the Balch Library in Leesburg is documenting all pre-integration “colored” schools. Eventually, the study will also document all “white” schools before integration. Go to https://loudounschoolproject.wordpress.com/.
About Field Stones: Field stones could have been used by whites or African-Americans (enslaved or free). The stones (as seen on the Hutchison Cemetery) are generally not marked because they are too hard for most tools. Any marks that might have been made very likely were worn away by the weather, so we often don’t know exactly who was buried on a specific spot. In addition, in the 19th century literacy was low. In fact, in 1840, most whites in Loudoun were illiterate and until 1870 virtually all African-Americans were illiterate. So, there was often no obvious need to carve names on stones. Further complicating matters, the county government didn’t record burials on private land. Another reason for field stones could be poverty. Our part of Loudoun catered mostly to subsistence farmers with little income, so the estate of a highly literate farmer like Hampton Brewer (see Brewer Cemetery) might not have enough funds to buy marble and hire a stone mason.